Patricia Kurt

Patricia Hayden Kurt

About Patricia

Patty heads up the firm’s Family Law Section. She is certified in Family Relations Law by the Ohio State Bar Association, with 38 years legal experience. Patty concentrates her practice in all areas of family law, including divorce, dissolution, custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, parentage, grandparents’ rights, adoption, domestic violence, name change, and all juvenile court proceedings, primarily private custody and grandparent cases. Patty is a Family Law Mediator, Parenting Coordinator and serves as Guardian ad Litem in family law cases. She was a former Assistant Public Defender for 16 years representing clients in criminal matters in Municipal and State courts.


  • Ohio State Bar Association (Certified Specialist in Family Law since 2005)

  • Pro Bono Committee (Former Chair; Current Secretary)

  • Lucas County Bar Association (President 2006-2007)

  • Toledo Bar Association

  • Toledo Bar Association Domestic Relations Committee (Member)

  • Toledo Bar Association Juvenile Court Committee (Former Chair)


  • Michigan State University, James Madison College (B.A. 1979)

  • University of Toledo (J.D. 1982)

Bar Admissions

  • All Ohio Courts

  • U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio

Practice Areas


Our attorneys represent petitioners requesting the adoption (relatives and step-parents) and also assist birth mothers and birth fathers when consenting to an adoption or contesting an adoption.

Child Custody

Child custody litigation can occur in the Domestic Relations Court or in the Juvenile Court between natural parents, grandparents and other relatives. Our attorneys can assist those in need of applying for custody or challenging the custody of another.

Child Support

Legal custodians of children can be awarded child support prior to separation for married couples, during a divorce, and when parentage has been established in the Juvenile court. Spengler Nathanson has experienced attorneys who understand child support laws and can assist clients having issues related to child support.


Ohio law permits a dissolution of marriage when all issues of child custody, spousal support and property division are agreed to by both the husband and the wife. A dissolution of marriage can be obtained between thirty and ninety days after filing with the court. If you are a resident of Ohio for six months and of your current county for ninety days before filing a Petition for Dissolution, our attorneys can help you through this process.


At its most basic, a divorce is a legal process by which two parties terminate their legal and financial relationship. But each divorce is unique and most involve disputes over things like child custody or division of property. Our attorneys are committed to supporting their clients through an intensely emotional process

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence occurs when a family member or household member attempts to cause or recklessly causes bodily injury to another family or household member. Domestic violence can also occur when a family or household member places another family or household member in fear of imminent serious physical harm due to a threat of force or actual physical force. Our attorneys can assist those who have been a victim of domestic violence to help them enforce their rights in these matters.

Guardian ad Litem

A Guardian ad Litem is an attorney appointed by a Judge or Magistrate in Domestic Relations Court, Juvenile Court or Probate Court to conduct an independent investigation for the court to make a recommendation regarding the best interest of a child or children. Our attorneys are routinely appointed as a Guardian ad Litem and are well versed in the issues associated with these matters.


We establish and represent guardianships to protect individuals who are unable to care for their own well-being due to infancy, incapacity or disability. A court will appoint a legal guardian to care for an individual, known as a ward, who is in need of special protection. Legal guardians have the legal authority to make decisions for their ward and represent their ward's personal and financial interests.

Juvenile Court

Juvenile Court handles all legal matters when children are born to unmarried couples, a child is delinquent, a child is a traffic offender, when a child is dependent, abused or neglected or when a non-parent wants custody of a child, e.g. a grandparent, relative or other non-related person. Spengler Nathanson attorneys have experience in all areas of law practiced in Juvenile Court and would be more than happy to assist you with any such needs.


Mediation is an impartial, neutral process designed to help couples resolve issues about children and property. Many Shared Parenting Plans have mediation clauses requiring the couple to mediate before filing a motion in court. Mediation can help resolve disputes before, during and following a break up.

Name Change

A name change can occur during a divorce proceeding in Domestic Relations Court, in a parentage proceeding in Juvenile Court and when a child is adopted in Probate Court. Sometimes adults choose to change their names or a parent wishes to change the last name of their child. Our attorneys can assist you whenever a name change is right for your or your family.


Unmarried couples with children often go to Juvenile Court to establish parentage of a child. Our experienced attorneys represent mothers and fathers at child support enforcement agencies, the Juvenile Court and in Domestic Relations Court when parentage of a child is the issue.

Parenting Coordinator

When post-relationship couples have great difficulty communicating with each other a Parenting Coordinator can help. A Parenting Coordinator is generally appointed by a court but paid for by the couple. The Parenting Coordinator helps to resolve day to day visitation disputes between parties lessening ongoing court involvement. We can assist you in obtaining a parenting coordinator.

Prenuptial Agreements

Prior to marriage, couples may want to define rights to property or support in the event of divorce or upon death. A properly drafted prenuptial agreement can protect your property interests. Our attorneys have significant experience helping clients navigate the decisions to be made when drafting a prenuptial agreement.

Separation Agreements

Sometimes married couples want to live separate from each other but remain married. Separation Agreements can provide for custody and support of couples living apart from each other.

Shared Parenting

When unmarried and divorcing couples desire to share decision-making authority regarding their child’s or children’s lives, a Shared Parenting Plan will define each parent's possessory schedule of the child or children, support, medical and educational issues. We can help identify the issues and draft a Shared Parenting Plan that will benefit the parents and children.


Anti-stalking protection orders can be granted when someone is being harassed by a family or household member. Protection orders can last for up to five years.